Around 2.4 million children in Yemen could be malnourished by the end of 2020 due to a big shortfall in humanitarian funding, the United Nations children’s agency UNICEF said on Friday.
A UNICEF report warned of a rise of 20% in the number of malnourished chidren under the age of five – almost half of all of that age in the country.
“If we do not receive urgent funding, children will be pushed to the brink of starvation and many will die,” said UNICEF Yemen representative Sara Beysolow Nyanti. “We cannot overstate the scale of this emergency.”
“UNICEF has previously said, and again repeats, that Yemen is the worst place in the world to be a child and it is not getting any better,” Nyanti said.
UNICEF also warned that unless $54.5 million are disbursed for health and nutrition aid by the end of August, more than 23,000 children will be at increased risk of dying because of acute malnutrition.